Skip to main content

Full text of "A history of Graniteville"

See other formats


3  1833  03334  8043 

(Gc    975.702    G76s 
Steadman,    Mae 
A    history    of   Graniteville 

Allen  County  Public  Librar>' 

900  Webster  Street 

PC  Box  2270 

Fort  Wayne,  IN  46801-2270 



Mrs.  Mae  Steadman 

I  can't  think  of  a  better  introduction  for  my  remarks  today 
than  from  the  first  sentence  in  "Reflections  of  Grani tevi lie"  by 
Sharon  and  Sue  McLaughlin  published  at  the  time  of  the 
Bicentennial  on  Graniteville  in  1976.   Quote: 

"There  is  a  beginning  for  every thing "--and  as  you  read 
in  the  'Journal,'  the  first  inhabitants  of  Granitiville 
were  the  Wes to  Indians,  and  from  them  came  the  name 
Horse  Creek. " 

America  itself  was  young--only  69  years  old,  when 

Graniteville  was  born.   Grani teville ' s  growth  has  kept  pace  and 
adjusted  well  to  all  the  changing  facets  of  the  Nation. 
Especially  the  citizens  who  grew  up  in  Graniteville  are  proud  of 
our  town.   We  believe  it  is  still  standing  tall  and  becoming  what 
its  founder  intended  it  to  be :   a  well-educated  people,  a 
prosperous  town,  recognized  for  a  superb  product,  not  only  in 
America,  but  internationally  as  well! 

We  can't  think  of  Graniteville  without  thinking  of  William 
Gregg,  for  it  is  to  William  Gregg  that  the  Graniteville  of  today 
owes  its  beginning.   Graniteville  is  listed  in  the  National 
Registry  of  Historic  Places,  and  more  and  more  people  are  becoming 
aware  of  Graniteville.   Gregg  started  out  in  business  in 
Columbia,  South  Carolina,  as  a  silversmith  and  jeweler,  and  it  is 
said  he  never  took  off  his  workman's  apron  until  he  was  worth 
$50,000.   Actually,  Gregg  closed  his  business  in  Columbia  because 
of  ill  health. 

P3-70   1  n^       I.' 

Gregg  married  Marinah  Jones  of  Ridge  Spring,  and  it  was  her 
brother,  General  James  Jones,  who  built  a  mill  in  Vaucluse  in 
which  William  Gregg  invested  in  in  1836,  and  his  career  as  a 
manufacturer  commenced.   Having  invested  heavily  in  Vaucluse,  he 
kept  a  close  watch  over  his  investment,  and  it  was  here  that  he 
began  plans  for  a  larger  mill  with  adequate  housing  for  its 
employees .   One  thing  he  had  to  have  for  a  larger  operation  was 

wa  te  r . 

Dr.  W.  W.  Wallace,  in  his  book  on  Granitevi lie ,  said  Gregg 
had  determined  as  early  as  1843  to  build  a  great  cotton  mill  and 
had  selected  his  location.   His  experience  at  Vaucluse  had 
revealed  to  him  advantages  of  Horse  Creek  Valley.   Gregg  planned 
to  convert  this  spot,  so  little  suited  to  agriculture,  from 
extreme  poverty  to  wealth.   In  fact,  the  first  farm  families 
called  the  place  "Hard  Scrabble"  which  gives  us  an  idea  of 
conditions  there.   That  wasn't  the  only  reason  Gregg  chose  this 
place.   Immediately  at  hand  were  beds  of  granite,  forests  of  long 
leaf  pine  (supplying  one  of  the  world's  finest  building 
materials),  water,  and  a  canal  already  in  use. 

From  those  who  came  to  help  in  construction,  Mr.  Gregg  chose 
families  he  felt  would  make  desirable  workers  and  citizens  for 
his  model  community.   With  all  this  construction,  Graniteville 
became  a  reality  in  1845.   Determined  to  put  the  comfort  of  his 
people  first;  two  churches,  an  academy,  and  homes  were  completed 
before  the  mill  was  built.   Mr.  Gregg  did  not  sacrifice  beauty 
for  haste  and  economy.   Evidence  of  this  still  exists  in  the 
Gothic  architecture  found  on  what  was  then  called  "Blue  Row." 
Blue  Row  has  been  photographed  and  written  about  so  much  that  it 

Page  2  of  14 

has  become  almost  synonymous  with  Grani teville.   The  quaint, 
Gothic-style  architecture  of  the  cottages  and  St.  John  United 
Methodist  Church  gives  it  an  air  of  story-book  charm,  unique  to 
this  town.  At  one  time  all  the  houses  on  the  street  were  washed 
in  a  blue  wash,  hence  the  name.   The  original  cost  of  each  house 
was  $400.   They  were  rented  to  employees  only,  and  maintenance 
was  done  by  the  company.   Upon  the  advent  of  electricity,  the 
houses  were  wired  and  electricity  furnished  at  no  cost. 

Canal  Street  is  the  oldest  street  in  town,  named  because  of 
the  canal  which  is  older  than  the  town.   In  the  words  of  the 
McLaughlin  sisters,  "It  stretched  like  a  liquid  ribbon  for  almost 
a  mile,  ornamented  in  spring  by  azaleas,  and  in  summer  by  crape 
myrtle  blossoms.   Although  it  is  a  very  old  and  beautiful  part  of 

town,  the  canal  is  most  vital  to  the  manufacturing  process  of  the 
mills.  " 

Certainly  Mr.  Gregg  set  out  to  care  for  the  whole  person,  so 

he  must  have  been  a  psychologist  as  well  as  a  manufacturer. 

Getting  back  to  the  houses--!  must  tell  you  that  in  front  of 

the  houses  there  were  wells--two  or  three  houses  using  one 

well--and  the  women  of  the  community  used  the  wells  for  social 

contact.   They  were  probably  too  busy  to  visit  unless  a  neighbor 

needed  help. 

I'm  told  that  at  the  advent  of  bathrooms,  many  of  the  houses 

were  equipped  with  them  even  before  many  people  in  cities  were 

able  to  afford  them. 

Again  I'd  like  to  go  to  Dr.  Wallace's  account  of 

Graniteville.   "Graniteville  was  instantly  recognized  as  an 

American  plant  and  certainly  the  leading  textile  mill  in  the 

Page  3  of  14 

south.   Visitors  from  both  North  and  South  describe  with 
admiration  in  newspapers  and  magazines  the  wonders,  the  most 
modern  equipment,  housed  in  the  most  substantial  granite 
building,  with  its  yard  blooming  with  lovely  flowers,  surrounded 
by  one  of  the  world's  model  industrial  villages,  all  set  down 
beside  a  clear  stream  in  the  midst  of  the  vast  forest  of  pines, 
in  an  out  of  the  way  corner  of  the  state  distrusting  such 
enterprises--an  enterprise  more  over  not  for  profit  only,  but 
calling  to  enlightenment  and  prosperity  one  of  the  most  neglected 
populations  in  the  country." 

Gregg  himself  described  his  town  in  a  letter  to  Freeman  Hunt 
dated  October  22,  1849.   "The  village  covers  about  150  acres  of 
ground,  contains  two  handsome  Gothic  churches,  an  academy,  hotel, 
10  or  12  stores  and  about  100  cottages  belonging  to  the  company 
and  occupied  by  persons  in  their  services.   The  houses  varied  in 
size  from  3  to  9  rooms  each,  nearly  all  built  after  the  Gothic 
Cottage  order.   The  property  cost  $300,000. 

We  have  a  large  class  of  white  people  in  South  Carolina  who 
are  not  slave  holders  and  who  work  for  a  livelihood." 

Gregg  personally  interviewed  each  worker  for  he  felt  that 
the  maintenance  of  a  moral  character  was  necessary  for  a  model 
village.   The  use  of  alcohol  was  not  permitted  in  the  village  and 
to  this  day  is  not  allowed  to  be  sold — however,  in  adjoining 
Madison,  it  was  a  different  story. 

There  is  a  tale  told  by  the  father  of  Miss  Clara  Harrigal 
that  he  was  with  Gregg  as  they  drove  towards  Grani tevi lie ,  when  a 
man  of  not  too  good  repute  slipped  out  of  the  woods  with  a  jug. 
"What's  in  that  jug?"  demanded  Mr.  Gregg.   "Molasses,"  said  the 

Page  4  of  14 

culprit,  but  circumstances  spoke  louder  than  words,  and  Gregg 
flooded  the  road  with  whiskey  as  he  broke  the  jug  over  his  buggy 
wheel.   "Now,  how  much  did  that  molasses  costs?"  Gregg  inquired, 
and  handed  the  man  the  amount  with  the  warning  that  the  next  time 
he  might  get  the  buggy  whip  instead  of  the  money.   Mr.  X  (let  us 
call  him  for  his  descendants  are  excellent  people),  was  the 
expert  English  machinist,  and  was  the  only  man  in  the  village 
whose  lapses  into  liquor  Mr.  Gregg  would  tolerate.   After  his 
periodic  sprees,  Mr.  X  would  weep  out  his  repentance  to  Mr.  Gregg 
and  promise  never  to  do  it  again,  and  so  useful  was  he  that  the 
whiskey-hating  president  would  each  time  accept  the  pledge  and 
keep  him  on  his  job.   It  was  a  boy  in  this  same  family  who  was  so 
rebellious  about  going  to  school  that  his  parents  confessed  their 
helplessness  and  complained  to  Mr,  Gregg  against  having  to  pay 
the  daily  5  cents  for  his  absence.   (I'll  tell  you  about  this 
later)   When  Mr.  Gregg  asked  if  they  were  willing  for  his  getting 
the  boy  to  go  to  school,  they  consented  and  the  president  applied 
a  good  stiff  dose  of  hickory  stick  and  had  no  more  trouble. 

I  mentioned  the  Graniteville  Academy  earlier.   It  was  one  of 
Gregg's  pride  and  joys.   It  was  built  in  keeping  with  the  Gothic 
style.   At  first,  the  curriculum  only  went  through  the  6th  grade. 
Later  grades  7  through  10  were  added.   The  school  provided  a 
9-month  course-October- July ;  the  school  day  beginning  at  8:30 
a.m.  and  lasting  until  4:30  p.m.,  with  a  2-hour  lunch  break  so 
pupils  not  only  could  have  their  lunches,  but  could  carry  hot 
lunches  to  the  mill. 

The  school  had  the  first  successful  compulsory  attendance 
rule  that  worked.   Parents  were  required  to  keep  their  children 

Page  5  of  14 

under  12  in  school.   When  they  didn't,  they  were  fined  5  cents  a 
day  if  a  child  did  not  attend  school.   Mr.  Gregg  would  go  so  far 
as  to  tell  the  offending  parent  his  job  was  in  jeopardy  if  a 
child  did  not  attend  school.   It  was  the  first  school  in  the 
South,  and  perhaps  in  the  nation,  to  furnish  free  textbooks  to 
the  pupils.   If  a  pupil  was  sent  to  the  office,  it  meant  the  mill 
office  and  not  to  the  superintendent's  office.   Mr.  Gregg  visited 
the  school  daily  and  the  children  loved  him  although  he  was  very 
strict  with  the  children.   In  summer  when  the  peaches  in  his 
orchard  on  Kalmia  Hill  were  ripe,  he  would  bring  tubs  of  them  and 
set  them  down  in  the  school  yard  for  the  children  to  help 
themselves . 

The  first  high  school  class  graduated  in  1899.   In  1922,  the 
academy  closed  and  the  pupils  marched  to  the  new  Leavelle 
McCampbell  School  that  the  company  had  built. 

My  father  attended  the  academy,  but  my  mother  attended  a 
private  school  run  by  Mrs.  Anna  Hard.   After  her  school  was 
closed,  she  taught  at  the  academy.   I  was  in  her  class  in  the  5th 

Today,  what  remains  of  the  Academy  building  is  used  by 
Senior  Citizens  as  a  leisure  Club. 

From  the  beginning,  school  has  been  a  point  of  pride  and  one 
of  the  most  unifying  elements  in  Graniteville . 

Implanting  the  belief  in  the  original  settlers  that 
education  was  the  common  denominator  for  growth  and  achievement, 
Mr.  Gregg  provided  and  supported  a  school  which  denied  no  one,  no 
matter  how  poor,  the  right  to  go  to  school.   I  guess  the  good 
example  set  with  our  forefathers  was  handed  down  in  the 

Page  6  of  14 

Graniteville  Schools  for  attendance  has  always  been  good.   I  know 
that  while  I  was  principal  of  Byrd  School,  I  had  a  habit,  if  a 
child's  name  appeared  in  the  absentee  list  in  the  a.m.,  of 
calling  to  find  out  what  was  wrong.   Only  occasionally  did  I  find 
a  child  not  at  school  because  of  having  overslept  if  both  parents 
were  working.   Almost  always,  they'd  come  to  school,  though 
tardy.   Also,  from  personal  experience,  I  found  the  parents  in 
Graniteville  most  cooperative,  who  wanted  the  very  best  for  their 
children.   Long  before  teachers'  aids  were  in  schools  in  Aiken 
County  mothers  volunteered  to  help. 

Byrd  School  library  was  started  by  parents  who  helped  to 
raise  money  for  books  and  who  gave  of  their  time  to  man  the 
library  until  the  county  furnished  us  a  librarian. 


Taken  from  "Reflections" 

Grantiville  was  only  15  years  old  when  South  Carolina 
seceeded  from  the  Union.   Company  F,  of  the  7th  Regiment  of  South 
Carolina  Volunteers  was  composed  entirely  of  Graniteville  men  and 
boys  . 

Because  Graniteville  was  furnishing  material  for  Southern 
military  purposes.  General  Sherman  ordered  the  mills  destroyed, 
along  with  a  paper  mill  in  the  valley.   General  Joe  Wheeler  at 
Aiken,  held  Sherman's  army  away  from  Graniteville  and  the 
destruction  of  the  mill. 

During  this  time  food  was  scarce,  and  Graniteville  Company 
was  besieged  by  beggars  in  person  and  by  mail.   While  all 
possible  help  was  given  to  those  who  came,  there  had  to  be  a 

Page  7  of  1 4 

limit.   Mr.  Gregg  bartered  cloth  for  food  for  his  employees  and 
they  fared  better  than  most.   In  trying  to  care  for  his  own 
people  first,  he  received  merciless  criticism  from  the  press  and 
even  from  the  pulpit  because  he  had  turned  many  away.   Down 
through  the  ages,  Graniteville  has  contributed  not  only  men  and 
money,  but  the  essentials  for  uniforms,  tents,  and  other  textile 
requirements  for  military  use. 

Mules  were  a  necessity  in  Graniteville.   They  transported 
raw  cotton  from  farms  to  the  mill,  they  hauled  cotton  bales  to 
the  mill;  then  moved  the  oznaburg  material  from  the  mill  to  the 
nearest  shipping  point.   Wagons  pulled  by  mules  were  first  school 
buses  and  they  carried  the  high  school  children  back  and  forth  to 
Vaucluse.   This  was  possibly  a  first. 

Mules  were  even  used  in  the  first  sanitation  system:   behind 
the  mules  were  carts  loaded  with  large  barrels  facetiously 
nicknamed  "honey-buckets"  because  of  the  odor  of  their  contents. 
These  honey-bucket  carts  ran  with  regularity  throughout 
Graniteville  and  emptied  near  where  Byrd  School  is  now.   However 
crude  it  may  seem  to  us  now  it  was  one  of  the  first  organized 
collection  systems  in  the  country. 

There  has  never  been  a  strike  in  Granitevile.   Probably  the 
reason  being  that  the  people  feel  that  they  are  being  treated 
fairly,  or  if  not,  they  can  settle  their  own  differences.   Maybe 
William  Gregg  was  partly  responsible  when  he  hired  the  right 
people  to  live  in  his  Graniteville.   One  incident  told  in  Dr. 
Wallace's  book  which  showed  that  the  workers  could  settle  their 

Paae  8  of  14 

own  differences  took  place  when  a  Mr.  Guerry  was  Superintendent 
at  Graniteville.   He  fired  a  very  competent  and  much  loved  and 
respected  boss  of  one  of  the  rooms.   All  the  people  working  under 
this  man  immediately  walked  out,  causing  the  entire  mill  to  be 
shut  down.   Down  it  stayed  until  Mr.  Guerry  invited  this  man 
back.   Then  the  entire  working  force  returned.   It  was  this  same 
Mr.  Guerry  who  took  all  the  stored  records  of  Graniteville 
Company  to  the  ballfield  and  made  a  bonfire  of  them.   I  might  add 
Mr.  Guerry  remained  in  Graniteville  13  monthsl 

Another  incident  showing  the  workers  could  handle  their  own 
problems  took  place  in  Vaucluse  when  the  Union  sent  workers  there 
to  try  to  organize  a  Union  of  the  workers.   The  majority  of  the 
workers  were  so  incensed  wanting  to  run  the  organizers  out  of 
town  that  the  National  Guard  was  ordered  in  to  prevent  trouble. 
Needless  to  say,  no  union  was  organized  and  no  strike  occurred. 

There  are  certain  landmarks  in  Graniteville  that  I  need  to 
tell  you  about  or  at  least  mention.   They  are: 

The  two  first  churches:   First  Baptist  which  burned  and 

has  been  rebuilt  twice. 
St.  John  United  Methodist  Church. 

The  Graniteville  Cementery 

Company  Farm 

Artesian  Well 

Hickman  Mill 

Medical  Center 

The  Graniteville  Bell 

Speaking  of  St.  John  Methodist  Church  in  Grani tevi lle--there 
was  an  article  on  this  church  in  the  Aiken  Standard  last  year 
that  you  probably  read,  where  I  was  baptized  as  an  infant  (I 
still  have  my  Cradle  Roll  Certificate),  attended  Sunday  School 
and  Church  there,  and  in  which  I  was  married.   I  distinctly 
remember  when  the  beautiful  beams  that  had  been  hidden  for  years 

Page  9  of  14 

by  a  false  ceiling  were  discovered  when  Babe  Yaun  and  his  father 
went  up  in  the  attic  to  do  some  work.   If  you  haven't  seen  the 
interior  of  this  church,  please  attend  a  service  there.   It  was 
designed  by  the  famous  Charleston  Architect,  Edward  Brickell 

While  I  was  writing  the  History  of  St.  John's  in  Aiken,  I 
also  did  some  research  on  St.  John  (doesn't  have  's  like  ours) 
because  at  one  time  these  two  churches  were  on  the  same  charge, 
with  St.  John  in  Graniteville  being  the  larger  and  mother  church. 

The  Graniteville  Cemetery  was  begun  about  1855  with  Mr. 
Gregg  directing  much  of  the  planning  and  planting  of  trees  and 
shrubs.   A  well  and  later  a  pump  was  provided  to  furnish  water 
for  flowers  and  shrubbery.   It  was  a  place  of  serenity  and 

The  gazebo  in  this  cemetery  is  one  of  Graniteville ' s  oldest 
landmarks  and  was  used  to  store  coffins  when  it  was  too  rainy  for 

There  are  many  legends  and  stories  connected  with  this 
cemetery.   Probably  one  of  the  oldest  and  best  known  is  in  the 
oldest  section  of  the  cemetery — an  inscription  on  a  little  tomb 
reads  "The  Little  Boy"--1855.   The  legend  is  told  of  a  little  boy 
traveling  alone  on  a  train  who  became  ill  and  was  taken  off  the 
train  at  Graniteville  and  cared  for  by  the  good  women  of 
Graniteville.   His  high  fever  made  him  too  sick  to  tell  his  name 
or  where  he  was  going.   When  he  died  in  October  1855,  the  good 
women  who  had  collected  scraps  of  satin  and  silks  from  Christmas 

Page  10  of  14 

wrappings,  lined  a  coffin  made  by  the  menfolk,  gave  him  a 
Christian  burial  in  their  cemetery  and  from  their  nickels  and 
dimes  bought  a  simple  little  tombstone. 

I  often  wondered  from  where  the  flowers  that  are  still 
placed  on  the  little  grave  were  coming  and  recently  I  found  out. 
They  are  being  removed  from  other  graves.   At  least  someone  still 
cares  . 


After  you  turn  off  Breezy  Hill  Road  going  to  the  exit  to 
1-20,  you  will  pass  evidence  of  Gregg's  model  company  farm  where 
cotton  was  grown  for  the  mill,  and  vegetables  for  the  employees, 
as  well  as  various  fruits  and  pecans  trees.   Also,  there  was  a 
Smithy  Shop  and  Stables  for  the  horses. 

There  were  8  houses  there  for  the  farm  families  and  I'm 
told,  some  of  the  old  barns  still  standing  contain  relics  that 
are  fast  deteriorating. 


We  must  not  leave  out  the  Artesian  Well  which  was  drilled 
about  1900,  according  to  Monroe  Hamilton,  a  long-time  resident  of 
Graniteville  and  now  deceased,  by  a  man  known  as  "Klondike."   It 
is  said  he  drilled  the  well  using  a  steam  engine  for  power.   It 
was  always  a  nice  place  to  stop  to  get  a  cool,  sweet  drink  of 
water  on  the  way  home  from  school  or  work  on  a  hot  day. 

It  was  restored  and  enclosed  inside  a  granite  structure  in 
1973  to  retain  its  historical  value  and  to  provide  a  host  of  fond 
memories  to  many  who  live  in  this  area. 

Page  11  of  14 


The  Hickman  Hall  was  the  town's  recreational  center  and  now 
the  Employment  Center.   It  had  bowling  lanes,  a  swimming  pool, 
the  town  Library  on  the  first  floor  and  the  top  floor  was  used 
for  dances  and  parties.   I'm  sure  I  must  have  read  every  book  in 
the  library.   My  aunt  who  was  librarian  lived  with  us,  and  many 
times  she  found  me  asleep  between  the  stacks  exhausted. 

In  the  summer,  Gregg  Park  was  the  recreation  center  until 
Gregg  Civic  Center  took  over  the  old  Aiken  Outing  Club.   In  the 
summers,  there  were  Community  Watermelon  picnics,  ice  cream 
get-togethers,  band  concerts,  walks  to  Flat  Rock,  etc. --Gregg 
brought  in  lecturers  for  culture. 

In  W.  E.  Woodward's  book,  "The  Way  Our  People 
Lived" — Woodward  grew  up  in  Grani tevi lie-- ,  he  said  people  had 
watermelon  every  day  for  a  20-pound  melon  sold  for  5  cents. 

Land  cost  about  $3.00  an  acre.   From  this  same  book,  I 
learned  about  the  first  bicycle  in  Graniteville  in  1887  and  how 
every  one  came  out  to  see  Dick  Ross  learning  to  ride  his  high 
front  wheel  bicycle. 

Graniteville,  as  early  as  1849,  had  a  medical  plan   Mr. 
Gregg  organized  a  sick  fund  to  which  each  family  made  a  trifling 
contribution,  and  from  which  the  doctors  fees  were  paid.  (The 
conception  of  such  a  medical  plan,  like  so  many  of  Gregg's  ideas, 
was  way  ahead  of  other  manufacturers  of  the  day.) 

Page  12  of  14 

One  of  the  earliest  medical  care  centers  was  in  St.  Paul's 
Episcopal  Parrish  House.   With  the  equipment  in  the  basement,  an 
operating  table  and  medical  suppplies,  minor  surgery  could  be 
performed.   A  trained  nurse  and  an  aid  carried  on  valuable 
medical  services  in  the  community. 

Today,  Graniteville  has  a  medical  facility  built  by 
Graniteville  Company  that  is  a  credit  to  the  town. 


Not  many  of  the  workers  owned  an  alarm  clock--I  suppose  they 
really  didn't  need  one.   The  original  Granite  Mill  had  2  towers, 
and  in  one  hung  a  huge  bell.   (It's  still  there.) 

The  bell  was  rung  to  awaken  people,  to  signal  the  time  to 
report  to  work,  the  time  to  go  to  lunch  and  return,  and  the  time 
to  quit  in  the  evening.   It  was  also  used  for  special  occasions, 
ringing  in  the  New  Year,  the  end  of  wars,  as  a  fire  alarm,  and 
upon  request  it  tolled  the  age  of  an  esteemed  citizen  at  death. 
In  other  words,  it  was  the  communication  system  for  the  community 
in  its  early  years. 

Carrying  out  Gregg's  passion  for  educating  youth,  in  1941 
the  Graniteville  Company  established  the  Gregg  Foundation  which 
began  awarding  scholarships  to  worthy  students  whose  parents  live 
in  Graniteville  or  whose  parents  work  for  the  Graniteville 
Company.   Since  that  time,  from  2  to  22  scholarships  have  been 
awarded  each  year. 

In  addition  to  their  normal  scholarship  program, 
Graniteville  Company  made  an  outstanding  contribution  to  the 
academic  progress  of  the  community  and  the  State  of  South 

Page  13  of  14 

Carolina  by  a  gift  to  furnish  the  rare-book  section  in  the 
library  at  the  University  of  South  Carolina  in  Columbia  to  be 
known  as  the  Graniteville  Room. 

Though  proud  of  its  past,  Grani tevi lie ' s  face  is  turned 
toward  the  future.   The  houses  in  Graniteville  are  now  owned  by 
individuals,  many  are  not  kept  up  as  they  were  when  the  company 
owned  them.   Since  Mr.  Posner  took  over  the  Company  there  is  no 
longer  a  police  force,  but  I  understand  there  has  been  and  are 
still  being  improvements.   Many  descendants  of  the  original 
settlers  are  still  living  in  Graniteville,  and  I'm  sure  they 
won't  allow  anything  bad  to  happen  to  their  town  if  they  can 
prevent  it. 

Mrs.  Mae  Steadman 

Page  14  of  14 



Hardscrabble  nas  a  very  siall  neighborhood  of  fariers  prior  to  1845  when  Killiai  Gregg  chose  the, place  to  build  his  till.  . 

One  of  the  fex  hoies  in  Hardscrabble  in  1845  was  occupied  by  an  old  couple  Mhose  naie  has  long  been  forgotten.  It  Mas  a  log 
cabin  with  a  wooden  and  lud  chiiney.  The  cabin  was  built  under  a  poplar  tree  that  stood  at  the  north  end  of  "Blue  Row"  later 
knoKn  as  Eregg  Street. 

The  couple,  according  to  legend,  sold  their  land  to  Milliai  Gregg  when  the  5000  acre  tract  was  acquired  for  the  lill. 

Note;  According  to  a  plat  of  the  original  owners  of  what  is  now  the  Piatt  property,  "Blue  Row'  was  "Gregg  Street"  first. 

Hany  other  nicknaies  were  used  out  of  Gregg's  hearing.  Soie  of  these  were  "Punken  Gully",  "Skillet  ftlley",  'Hocking  Bird 
Branch",  "Sweet  Gui  Hollow",  and  'Shake  Rag'. 

Gregg  deteriined  as  early  as  1843  to  build  a  great  cotton  lill  and  had  selected  his  location  as  Horse  Creek  Valley.  It  had 
■any  advantages  -  building  laterials,  fuel,  water  power,  and  a  railroad  only  a  lile  away  -  then  a  rare  convenience. 

Harch  20,  1843,  he  and  his  wife's  brother,  Jaies  Jones,  bought  for  $2500.00  frot  John  Bausket  II,  423A  containing  Vauduse 
Hill  and  lost  of  the  subsequent  Graniteville  Land.  Gregg  used  the  southern  portion  of  the  land  for  another  and  larger  lill 
(Graniteville).  Nineteen  out  of  thirty-one  stockholders  were  froi  Charleston.  Capital  paid  $300,000. 

Gregg  planned  to  convert  this  property  to  great  wealth  and  to  educate  the  'hillers'.  There  had  long  been  lills  at  the  rapids 
of  Horse  Creek.  These  rapids  had  long  been  used  to  saw  or  grind  for  the  neighborhood.  Two  of  these  lills  were  Glover's  Hill 
near  the  Graniteville  Factory  and  Richard's  Hill  on  Bridge  Creek. 

Gregg's  son  had  a  letter  dated  July  9,  1B44,  'Hardscrabble'.  The  place  was  lade  a  Post  Office  February  4,  184B,  with  Enock 
B.  Presley  as  Post  Master. 



The  suiier  house  in  the  ceietery  is  one  of  the  last  landtarks.  It  was  built  in  1856  shortly  after  the  ceietery  was  begun. 
Soaeone  had  died,  and  the  people  not  knowing  just  where  to  bury  the  body  carried  it  to  the  woods  on  top  of  the  hill.  That 
larked  the  beginning  of  one  of  the  oldest  public  ceieteries  in  the  state.  The  susier  house  was  used  for  shelter,  concerts, 
and  leiorial  services. 

b)  THE  LITTLE  BOY'S  fiRflVF 

Tradition  has  it  that  a  little  boy,  too  young  and  too  sick  to  travel,  was  put  off  the  train  here  in  1855.  He  was  cared  for 
by  the  proprieter  of  the  hotel  until  his  death.  No  one  ever  knew  his  naie  or  where  he  caie  froi. 

The  people  of  Graniteville  -nickled  up-  to  have  a  coffin  .ade  and  a  to.b  stone  put  on  his  grave.  It  can  be  found  in  the 
ceietery  with  "Little  Boy  1855"  on  it.  Soie  lysterious  person  has  kept  flowers  on  his  grave  ever  since. 



The  Viuduse  Mill  Mas  originally  built  several  years  before  the  Graniteville  'Old  Hill"  nas  built  and  is  believed  to  be  one 
of  the  first  in  the  South. 

In  183&,  Hilliai  Gregg  acquired  a  few  shares  in  the  Vaucluse  Hill  soie  liles  froi  the  hoie  of  his  Jones  in-laws.  He  intended 
to  enter  extensively  into  the  lanufacturing  of  cotton  but  ill  health  prevented  his  purchasing  that  establishient  when  it  «as 

The  granite  Mall  that  is  still  standing  Mas  built  of  granite  quarried  near  by.  It  Has  built  in  1832  and  noH  foris  a  part  of 
the  lodern  dai. 

A  tradition  is  that  there  Mas  a  forier  till  Mhich  Mas  burned.  This  fact  is  sustained  by  a  deed  of  April  23,  1831,  on  Big 
Horse  Creek  'on  Nhich  said  tract  »  grist  lill,  a  cotton  factory,  and  saw  tills  are  erected.*  Doubtless  the  property  «as 
deeded  back  to  its  original  oxners  after  it  Mas  burned,  and  they  began  the  erection  of  the  lill.  The  corner  stone  is  dated 
1832  and  still  stands  on  the  foundation  of  the  present  lill  Mhich  Mas  erected  in  1833.  It  Mas  burned  January  3,  1867,  and 
Mas  rebuilt  in  1877. 

When  the  lill  Mas  built  in  1877,  the  builders  reeoved  the  two  upper  stories  of  the  old  stone  lill  and  added  three  stories  of 
brick  and  tMo  stories  of  granite.  The  tMO  stories  of  granite  are  thus  the  oldest  structure  in  South  Carolina  still  used  as  a 
cotton  lill.  In  the  original  granite  Mheel  house  Mith  about  a  decade  of  interiission,  the  turbines  have  Mhirled  for  icre 
than  110  years.  The  lill  began  Mith  1520  spindles  and  25  loois  to  spin  one-half  of  its  yarn.  It  Mas  operated  by  30  Mhites 
and  20  slaves  Morking  both  mooI  and  cotton. 

Vaucluse  Mas  settled  by  French  Hugenots  in  1830.  The  settlers  gave  the  town  the  saie  naae  as  their  hojeto^n  near  Alvon, 
France.  (In  all  probability,  that  is  Mhere  the  expression  that  everyone  born  in  Vaucluse  has  a  "knot  on  his  head'  caie  froi 
-  Hugenots). 

The  old  Vaucluse  Hill  Bell  Mas  cast  in  HidNay,  Hass.  and  has  the  date  1676  on  it.  It  Mas  used  is  an  'alari  bell',  ringing  at 
5:00  a. I.  to  awaken  the  people.  At  5:45  a.i.  the  bell  rang  out,  calling  the  workers  to  the  till  to  begin  their  12  -  hour  day 
of  toils.  Finally  at  6:00  a.i.  the  'Mork  bell"  rang,  signaling  the  start  of  a  long  day.  At  noon  the  bell  rang  to  signal 
that  it  Mas  dinner  tiie.  At  6:00  p.t.  the  bell  brought  the  Melcoie  end  of  the  day. 



Hilliai  Gregg,  the  founder  of  GraniteYille,  was  what  light  be  called  a  benevolent  despot.  'He  acted  in  all  his  plans  for  the 
life  of  the  people  of  Graniteville,  froi  a  profound  sense  of  social  obligation." 

Mhen  in  1848  Hr.  Gregg  was  working  out  the  plans  for  his  venture  into  building  the  iill  at  Graniteville,  it  is  certain  that 
the  teaching  of  reading,  writing,  and  arithietic  to  the  children  was  as  definitely  a  part  of  his  prograi  as  the  industrial 
training  of  the  operatives  or  the  profits  of  the  coipany.  He  took  a  great  interest  in  school  and  held  it  dear  to  his  heart. 

Gregg  inaugurated  the  first  coipulsory  education  systei  (although  inforial  and  liiited  yet  surprisingly  effective)  in  the 

South  and  perhaps  the  first  in  the  whole  country.   This  is  the  way  he  described  it  hisself  -  "AH  parents  are  required  to 

keep  their  children  between  the  ages  of  sin  and  twelve  at  school. ..good  teachers,  books,  etc.  are  furnished  by  the  coipany 

free  of  charge.'  Usually  in  his  daily  visits  to  the  till,  he  would  stop  by  the  school  at  recess  tiie.  The  children  would 

diib  over  his  buggy  and  he  would  laugh  and  play  with  thei.  Very  often  he  would  go  in  and  talk  to  the  pupils.  And,  often  he 

would  bring ya  big  tub  of  peaches  froi  his  fan,  set  it  in  the  school  yard  and  let  the  children  help  theiselves  to  all  the 

peaches  they  wanted. 

Hr.  Gregg  not  only  had  his  coipulsory  school  attendance  law,  but  he  was  his  own  enforceient  officer.  If  he  found  a  boy 
playing  hooky,  he  would  return  hii  to  school,  or  if  the  offense  were  repeated,  would  take  hii  to  the  office  for  a  "licking". 
Several  tiies  he  was  known  to  go  to  the  "ole  swiiiing  hole"  and  bring  boys  back  to  school.  If  the  children's  punishient  and 
the  lecture  given  by  Gregg  did  not  suffice  to  secure  the  attendance  of  the  children,  the  offending  parents  were  fined  by  hii 
five  cents  a  day  for  every  day  a  child  stayed  away  froi  school.  Not  only  did  he  insist  on  the  children  of  the  village  going 
to  school,  but  he  was  anxious  for  the  children  in  the  country  near  by  to  benefit  also. 

One  day  Gregg  learned  that  a  boy  who  had  often  fallen  under  his  displeasure  of  truancy  had  sneaked  off  froi  school  and  gone 
fishing.  Gregg  lay  in  wait  for  hii  on  the  road  and  as  the  boy  case  froi  the  bushes  beside  the  streai,  seized  hii,  lifted  hii 
into  the  buggy  and  drove  hii  to  the  lill  office.  The  boy  got  a  new  punishient  instead  of  the  custoiary  whipping.  He  was 
stood  on  a  high  bookkeepers  desk  and  left  there  without  a  word.  The  eiployees  had  been  tipped  off  to  ask  hii  questions  as 
they  went  by.  Then  Gregg  would  explain,  'There  stands  a  boy  that  would  rather  go  fishing  than  get  an  education."  The  little 
fellow  grew  weary  of  hearing  this  and  begged  to  be  let  down  with  a  proiise  he  would  never  run  away  froi  school  again. 

The  school  was  known  as  the  Graniteville  Acadeiy.  It  was  far  superior  to  those  carried  on  by  the  state  and  county 
authorities.  It  was  supported  by  the  coipany  and  independent  of  state  supervision.  While  the  state  schools  were  open  three 
or  four  lonths  in  a  year,  with  poorly  trained  and  underpaid  teachers,  and  where  children  learned  only  a  siattering  of  any 
subject,  the  Graniteville  Acadeiy  had  a  regular  nine  lonths  course  froi  October  to  July.  It  had  teachers  who  were  well 
prepared  and  occupied  a  coifortable  school  house. 

The  school,  after  it  had  been  in  operation  for  a  few  years,  had  three  teachers,  two  of  thei  ladies  froi  Charleston  and  the 
third  a  lan. 

One  of  the  first  superintendents  of  the  Graniteville  School  was  Nilliaa  Harchant,  a  very  extraordinary  lan.  He  had  a  passion 
for  teaching  with  a  burning  passion  like  that  which  loves  lartyrs  and  heroes.  His  desire  to  iipart  knowledge  was  a  living 
flaie  in  his  heart  and  soul.  The  punishients  he  gave  his  pupils  were  quick  and  severe. 

On  the  walls  of  the  schoolrooi  were  hung  large  yellow  laps.  There  were  no  naies  of  any  kind  printed  on  the  United  States  lap 
-  just  outlines  of  every  state,  all  the  principal  cities,  rivers  and  lakes  but  no  nates.  The  location  of  the  places  was 
learned  in  reference  to  their  surroundings. 

Occasionally,  and  always  without  previous  warning,  the  whole  school  was  taken  off  its  regular  routine  of  studies  and  the 

(schools  conl.) 

attention  of  all  the  pupils  Mas  concentrated  for  a  Mhole  week  on  soie  special  subject.  There  was  an  Arithietic  Keek,  a 
Spelling  Meek,  etc.  At  this  tiie  every  one  concentrated  on  the  one  subject  for  that  week  -  without  even  a  glance  at  any 
other  subject. 

Soietiies  Kr.  Harchant  would  take  the  class  on  a  visit  to  soie  special  place  -  laybe  a  paper  lill  close  by  or  soie  other 
place  of  interest.  After  the  children  returned,  they  were  asked  to  write  a  paper  about  the  things  they  had  seen  on  the  trip. 

Our  school  systei  has  continued  to  iiprove  each  year  until  now  it  ranks  high  in  the  statei  Ke  are  aware  of  the  fact  that  the 
early  action  of  Nilliai  Gregg  is  undoubtedly  soeewhat  responsible  for  the  fine  reputation  we  enjoy  today  with  regard  to  our 


At  the  tiie  Hr.  Harchant  was  the  principal  of  Braniteville  Acadejy,  firs.  Anna  Hard  had  a  private  school  for  those  children 
whose  parents  did  not  want  to  send  thei  to  'public'  school.  'Public  School'  were  dirty  words  then. 

Hr.  Karchant  had  goats  -  Mrs.  Hard  had  ducks.  In  the  afternoons  when  the  children  were  coiing  froi  opposite  directions  froi 
school,  they  poked  fun  at  each  other;  Hr.  Harchants  goats,  "baa,  baa'  and  Anna  Hard's  ducks,  'quack,  quack'. 

Later  Mrs.  Hard  gave  up  her  private  school  to  teach  in  the  acadeiy  for  about  sixty  years  and  two  or  three  generations.  A 
better  teacher  never  lived. 

Since  then  there  have  been  lany  good  and  dedicated  teachers. 

One  portion  of  the  original  H-shaped  building  now  stands.  It  is  now  used  as  a  club  house  for  senior  citizens.  Hcwever,  the 
top  story  once  used  as  the  first  grade  rooi  and  soie  of  the  triangle  cloak  closets  are  still  there.  The  stairs  where  the 
little  ones  stuibled  down  to  chapel  are  there,  also. 

The  original  and  the  part  that  still  stands  has  the  siiple  Gothic  beauty  with  its  vertical  siding,  steep-pitched  roof,  and 
scalloped  border  that  the  original  buildings  and  hoies  have. 


I  2 







DECEMBER     1971 


DMS    62/122 




Aiken. County,  with  an  area  of  1,097  square  miles,  was 
formed  in  1872  from  parts  of  Orangeburg,  Lexington,  Edgefield,  and 
Barnwell  Counties.  The  county  was  named  in  honor  of  William  Aiken, 
builder  of  the  South  Carolina  Railroad.  The  early  settlers  came 
to  the  area  to  avoid  malaria  which,  at  that  time,  was  prevalent 
on  the  Atlantic  Coast.  Aiken  County's  early  economic  developrrent 
was  centered  around  agricultural  products.  The  last  decade  has 
been  witness  to  a  rapid  population  growth  as  manufacturing  has 
increased  job  opportunities.  Continued  growth  and  development  of 
the  county  is  expected  because  of  the  mild  climate,  natural 
resources,  and  expanding  transportation  routes. 

The  Stream  and  Its  Valley 

Horse  Creek,  with  a  drainage  area  of  158  square  miles 
at  its  mouth,  joins  the  Savannah  River  near  the  City  of  Augusta, 
Georgia.  The  watershed  of  Horse  Creek,  which  drains  a  portion  of 
the  Sand  Hill  Section  of  South  Carolina,  is  almost  entirely  within 
Aiken  County.  Above  Vaucluse,  Horse  Creek  flows  in  a  steep  channel 
through  woodlands  in  a  narrow  valley.   In  this  upper  reach,  the 
average  stream  slope  is  about  40.0  feet  per  mile;  however,  below 
Vaucluse  the  stream  slope  becomes  more  gradual.  The  average 
stream  slope  of  Horse  Creek  from  its  headwaters  to  its  mouth  is 
22.0  feet  per  mile. 

The  stream  reaches  of  Horse  Creek,  Sand  River,  and 
Bridge  Creek  included  in  this  study  are  shown  on  the  general  rap. 
Horse  Creek  flows  southward  from  its  source  at  the  north-central 

■        ,    ,„a  the  southeastern  part  of  Edgefield  Co.  ty. 
part  of  Ai>en  County  and    he  s  ^^  ^.^^^  ^^  ^^^  ^,    ,  „f 

Horse  Creek  falls  about  66  feet  ^^  ^^  ^^^^^^^  ^,„p,  „, 

s-a™  included  ,n  *-  -"     ;-  ^^.^  „,,  ,  ..,„a,e  area  of 
about  10.8  feet  per  m.le.     Br    9  „f  the  CUy  of 

,2.,  .,uare  ™lles.  dra,ns     ^^  — ^^^^^  J,„,  3  „ne  north  of  the 
,Uen  and  flows  west  "  ^o-       -  ^  ,,3  ,,,,  ,„  the  3.4 

cuy  of  GranUevllle.    ^^    ;7™;;^^,  ,,,,,  of  about  S2.5  feet 
„„es  of  the  study  area  «  t^"  ^^^^  „,  ,3.0  s,uare  .Ues  at 

p,,  „,U.    sand  «iver    w  th  a  da  nag  ^^^^^^^^  ,^^^  ^^^^^ 

US  »uth.  drains  the  CUy  ^''''\l      ^^^^,„  ^,,,3  about  201  feet 
creek  at  the  CUy  of  «--""";.;;"„  l.^^ge  slope  of  35.8  feet 

'"  -  ^-^  :""::f"H:rie"c  e:;:  t:  ...n,  of  sranuevnu . 

rn^irCelorla.  areas  at  selected  locations,  the 

Study  area  are  Shown  in  Table  1. 



PTruRE  1  View  of  Horse  Creek  in  the 

FlGUKt   I.         ...    .   ^4.,,  nf  r,r3niteville. 

vicinity  of  Granitevi 


.The  Daughter  Of  William  Gregg  Recalls  The  Joys  And  Fears  Of  Her  Childhood 

•  "My  lilth  summer  vas  spent 
at  Aiken  boarding,"  Rosa 
Osrs  (Gregg)  Chaffee  »Tote  in 
her  autobiographical  sketch. 

"At  that  time  my  Father 
looked  over  the  country  search- 
ing for  a  suitable  spot  on  H-hich 
to  build  a  summer  home.  He 
found  a  lovely  situation  at  that 
time  called  Sumimer  Hill,  but 
Mother  soon  named  it  Kalmia 
(the  ixtanical  name  for  moun- 
tain laurel)  as  there  was  much 
ol  this  beautiful  flovcr  around 
and  near." 

K*      ^      r' 

So  William  and  Marina 
Gregg  established  their  home, 
Kalmia,  on  what  today  is  still 
known  as  Kalmia  Hill.  The 
year  was  18-!6,  and  just  over  the 
hill  from  Kalmia  lay  Granite- 
ville,  where  Gregg  was  build- 
ing a  textile  manufacturing 
plant  and  a  whole  village 
around  it. 

Today,  little  remains  of  Kal- 
mia —  a  few  ancient  trees,  a 
hedge  of  ancient  boxwoods  20 
fe«t  high,  some  terracing  along 
the  s\crping  hillside  and  the 
[oundatioru  of  an  outbuilding. 
Approximately   where   the 
jregg   mansion   stood    Is   the 
undsome  brick  home  of  Dr. 
finley  Kennedy,  who  acquired 
the  site  about  30  years  ago. 

Rosa  Gara  grew  up  and,  in 
1864,  married  a  young  Confed- 
erate soldier,  Nathaniel  G.  B. 
Chatee.  She  wrote  her  memoirs 
.n  1327  at  age  66  and  she  died 
iirce  years  later,  at  80. 

Her  autobiography  was  dis- 
^Dvered  recently  in  the  Gregg- 
jraniteviUe  Library  at  the  Uni- 
/ersity  of  South  Carolina 
Mken.  It  gives  an  unrevealed 
side  of  Gregg  family  life  and  of 
a  girl  growing  up  in  a  wealthy 
Southern  family  in  the  antebel- 
lum era. 

It  Ls  reproduced  here  with  the 
cooperation  of  the  Gregg-Gran- 
Iteville  Library: 

July,  10:7 

I  A.M  PAST  86,  so  there  is 
Tiuch  in  my  long  life  to  remem- 
xr,  and  very  much  that  is 

The  first  occurrence  that  I 
tmember  was  when  a  little 
ivcr  3  years,  my  Father  and 
Mother  and  three  brothers 
»ent  North.  \\'helher  we  went 
)y  trains  or  boats  I  have  no  rc- 
roUection,  nor  do  I  remember 
»hcre  we  first  stopped,  but  re- 
member MiUord  CI.  where  we 
«nt  to  visit  some  friends. 

One  afternoon  the  older  pco- 
jle  went  for  a  drive  and  left  us 
:hildren  with  our  nurse  Char- 
olle,  a;id  a  yowg  Indy.  One  of 
Tiy  brothers  nusbehavcd,  what 
le  did  I  do  not  know,  but  the 
ady  got  a  switch  with  which  to 
correct  him.  Do  not  remember 
(she  struck  him,  but  I  flew  at 
ler  like  a  tiger,  scratching  and 
lulling  at  her  dress,  and  crying 

Aiken  History 

Associate  Ediior 

out,  "You  shan't  whip  my 

We  were  separated  by  the 
nurse.  No  doubt  the  lady  was 
horrified  at  the  temper  of  such 
a  scrap  of  mortality,  and 
thought  me  greatly  spoiled,  as 
no  doubt  I  was.  We  had  a  pleas- 
ant walk  aftcnvards,  and  be- 
came friends. 

The  following  year,  1815,  my 
mind  had  considerably  devel- 
oped, for  I  distinctly  remember 
another  trip  North  with  Father, 
Mother  and  my  devoted  nurse, 
Maria  SImkins. 

The  boys  were  left  in 
Charleston  with  the  father  and 
mother  of  our  Bishop  Ellison 

AT  Til  AT  TIME  there  was  no 
railroad   In  this   state  going 
.  North.         •     • 

There  was  one  running  from 
Charleston,  S.C,  to  Hamburg, 
opposite  to  Augusta,  Ca.,  on 
Savannah  River. 

We  embarked  In  a  little 
■  steamer  called  (the)  Vander- 
bilt,  which  plied  between 
Charleston,  S.C.  and  Wilming- 
ton, N.C.  I  remember  all  about 
the  Boat,  but  nothing  more  un- 
til we  reached  our  destination 
Poughkcepsic,  N.Y.  I  remem- 
ber how  the  house  looked 
where  we  went  to  Board  (or 
several  weeks.  It  has  three  sto- 
ries, and  was  kept  by  a  Mrs. 
Grant,  a  widow,  who  had  two 
daughters,  who  immediately 
began  to  make  a  Pet  of  me. 
They  were  not  grown  up.  but 
looked  very  big  to  little  me. 

My  sister  Mary  Bellinger 
was  born  here  that  summer, 
Sept.  1st,  1815.  Dr.  and  Mrs. 
Bellinger  of  Charleston,  S.C. 
went  with  us.  That  was  proba- 
bly why  Mother  chose  that  City 
for  a  stopping  place.  My  sister 
was  named  tor  them.  At  first  I 
was  much  pleased  with  the 
baby,  but  the  novelty  soon  wore 
off,  and  I  preferred  to  be  with 
my  (nilhful  Maria  or  with  the 
Grant  girls. 

I  CAN  REMEMBER  the  dif- 
ferent walks  Marin  and  I  took. 
One  place  I  loved  to  go  to  was 
to  the  laundress  who  lived  at 
quite  a  distance  across  a 

My  Mother  told  mc  that  oner 
I  uciil  up  to  Uio  IhJrd  slory 

alone  to  a  Bedroom  and  locked 
myself  in.  There  was  conster- 
nation in  the  house  when  I  was 
found  to  be  missing.  But  In  a 
little  while  Mother's  keen  cars 
heard  a  distant  screaming. 
I  was  soon  located,  but. the 

door  was  locked  and  I  did  not 
know  how  to  turn  the  key. 
Fearing  that  in  my  (right  I 
might  try  to  get  out  of  a  win- 
dow, which  was  scarcely  likely, 
a  fireman's  ladder  was  sent 
for.  However,  here  he  came, 
Mother  told  me  if  I  could  get 
out  the  key  to  push  it  under  the 
door  which  I  did,  was  soon  re- 
leased and  the  commotion 
ceased.  All  enjoyed  Pough- 
kccpsie,  but  a  parting  time 

I  remember  nothing  of  the 
journey  until  we  reached  Wil- 
mington, Del.,  where  we 
stopped  to  visit  relatives  of  Fa- 
ther; James  Webb  and  family 
(Quaker  cousins.) 

Cousin  Mary,  then  a  young 
girl,  very  pretty  and  sweet, 
gave  mc   toys   and   much 

pleasure.   .    .  .  

MINGTON, DEL.,  my  only  rec- 
ollection was  the  gladness  of 
getting  home  to  sec  my  darkey 
friends  and  to  rove  around 
Mother's  lovely  flower  garden 
which  was  my  daily  delight. 
With  her  help  and  that  of  the 
gardener  I  learned  the  nrimc  of 
every  plant  in  the  garden. 

Page  13) 

■^  i 

^  ^ 


FATHER:  A  SuCcess-'ul  fcuS-nesi-T-.j.-.  ..  .^ 

Marina  Jones  ol   Ridge  Spring.  W4iiam  Gregg  then 
(ounded  the  r  ■?  Co    ar."  ^     ...---. 

GraniloviHe.  H    .  ,  in  a^ife  il 

as  a  small  child,  but  site  later  saw  a  mote  mevui*  i^se  oi . 

her  (other 




shows  rear  vie  a  ■ 
sJruclurc.  The  house,  whicn  v. 
orchards,  was  tern  down  many 
shipped  peaches  lo  New  Ywk 
.  Railroad. . 

by  way  ol  int  Soum  Carolina 

GREGG  DAUGHTERS:  Rosa  Clara  Gregg,  shown  at  led 
with  younger  sister  Mary  Bellinger  Gregg,  lived  with  her 
lamily  in  Charleston  and  later  at  Kalmia  in  Aiken.  Portrait  is 
the  possession  of  her  great-grandddaughter,  Mrs. 
Talmadge  (Charlotte  Buchanan)  LeGrand  of  Columbia. 


(Contlaued  From  Page  11) 

Sometimes  strangers  would 
stop,  and  ask  if  they  could  walk 
around,  and  look  at  the  roses 
and  other  flowers.  Ntother  was 
always  willing  a.-.d  it  the  gar- 
dener was  too  busy  she  would 
send  me  to  pilot  them  around, 
much  to  their  amusement  and 
surprise  that  so  small  a  child 
could  tell  the  names  of  so  many 
plants  and  flowers. 
.    My  fifth  summer  was  spent 
at  Aiken  boarding.  At  that  time 
my  Father  looked  over  the 
country  searching  for  a  suit- 
able spot  on  which  to  build  a 
summer  home.  He  found  a 
lovely  situation  at  that  time 
called  Summer  HiU.  but  Moth- 
er soon  named  it  Kalmia  (the 
Botanical  name  tor  Mountain 
Laurel)  as  there  was  much  of 
.  this  beautiful  flower  around 
and  near.  Father  set  carpcn- 
,  ters  to  work,  and  the  next  sum- 
.  mer  we  moved  Into  our  new 
summer  home.  Our  winters 
'were  spent  In  Charleston,  S.C. 
■  Our  home  was  at  the  Western 
"  end  of  Boundary  Street,  after- 
wards call  Calhoun. 

.'■"  I  BEGAN  TO  GO  TO 
.  SCHOOL  the  winter  after  I  was 
,  six.  My  first  teacher  was  Miss 
.  Griggs,  a  kind  pleasant  wom- 
■;  an.  My  first  little  book  had  pic- 
, hires  Mother  had  taught 
•  me  the  alphabet.'!  spelled  (un-' 

til  I  learned  better)  just  as  the 
pictures  looked  to  me.  So  when 
1  came  to  a  hen  I  spelled  it  H-e- 
n  —  chicken,  which  caused 
quite  a  little  amusement  to 
some  of  the  children  who  knew 
more  than  I  did,  but  my  kind 
teacher  soon  showed  me  the 
difference;  and  I  became  an 
apt  scholar  in  that  line. 

But  being  much  annoyed  by 
an  older  girl,  Mother  took  me 
away,  and  put  me  at  Miss  Pcr- 
rj-'s  where  I  became  a  remark- 
able speller  for  one  so  young. 
Stood  head  of  a  large  class  the 
whole  winter. 

I  wore  a  little  silver  medal  as 
a  reward  of  merit.  But  to 
me  was  a  boy  who  spelled 
equally  as  well,  who  could  not 
get  above  me,  nor  was  he  ever 
taken  do'.ra.  This  boy  after- 
wards became  a  physician,  Dr. 
Grange  Simons,  highly  thought 
of  in  Charleston.  The  honor  of 
the  medal  was  divided  between 
us  —  he  wearing  it  one  week,  I 
the  other.  We  were  two  very 
proud  little  youngsters. 

NOT  WISHING  the  boys  to  be 
idle  all  summer  Father  cm- 
ployed  a  young  man  from 
Charleston  to  teach  them  (Mr. 
John  Wesley  Miller).  I  too  re- 
cited a  little  to  him,  but  was  not 
kept  long.  A  colored  girl, 
named  Jane,  daughter  of  our 
_  l.-iundrcss  was  my  constant 
cbmp.n'nion'-^'  we  played  'with 

AN  OLD  LADY:  Rosa  Clara  Gregg  Chafes  holds  her  infant  great-granddaughter, 
Charlotte  Buchanan,  in  a  photo  made  in  1929,  the  year  before  Mrs.  Chafes's  death.  At 
left  is  the  baby's  mother,  Clara  Hammond  Buchanan,  wife  of  distingushed 
newspaperman  George  Buchanan,  later  dean  of  the  University  of  South  Carolina  School 
of  Journalism;  and  at  right  is  Mrs.  Buchanan's  mother,  Mrs.  Alfred  Gumming  Hammond 
(Charlotte  Kinloch  Chalce),  who  was  Mrs.  Chafee's  daughter.  The  baby  Charlotte 
Buchanan  is  now  Mrs.  Talmadge  LeGrand  of  Columbia,  v/ho  made  this  photo  available 
to  the  Aiken  Standard.  '  •  .  • 

dolls,  and  also  roved  the  hills 
up  and  down  for  hours,  often 
bringing  wild  flowers,  tearing 
our  clothes,  and  running  the 
risk  of  being  bitten  by  snakes, 
but  there  seemed  to  be  few,  and 
they  harmless. 

The  following  winter  when 
eight  years  old  my  sister  and  I 
were  put  to  Mrs.  Ilahnbaums 
school.  I  just  remember  that 
Mary  did  not  go  until  the  nc.Tt 
winter,  when  but  little  over  5 
years.  Mrs.  H.  had  a  sister,  a 
most  amiable  and  lovable  per- 
son. Miss  Rebecca  Badger.  She 
taught  work,  knitting,  crochet 
or  sewing.  I  took  crochet,  and 
became  quite  expert.  To  me 
when  out  of  school  it  became  a 
delightful  pastime,  and  at  Wj  I 
am  still  enjoying  it  and  doing 
nice  pieces  of  work. 

The  children  all  loved  Miss 
Hebccca,  but  stood  in  awe  of 
her  sister.  We  were  not  allowed 
to  go  into  the  work  room  unless 
our  lessons  were  perfect.  After 

two  enjoyable  winters  we  were 
put  into  another  school,  at  the 
solicitation  of  friends.  It  was 
kept  by  Mrs.  Basil  Lanneau. 

BEFORE  GOING  to  this 
school  during  the  summer  my 
Father  took  me  every  morning 
with  him  to  GranitcviUe,  and 
put  me  to  school  with  Mrs.  B.C. 
Hard.  He -Mr.  Hard -at  that 
time  was  bookkeeper  and  trea- 
surer at  the  GranitcviUe  Manu- 
facturing company.      ,   . 

These  two  or  three  summers 
were  the  very  happiest  of  my 
childhood.  I  loved  the  whole 
family,  and  they  were  devoted 
to  mc.  Sometimes  Father 
would  be  in  deep  thought,  and 
leaving  to  go  home  to  late  din- 
ner, three  miles  away,  would 
forget  me.  Then  there  would  be 
a  great  jollification  among  the 
children  because  I  would  be 
there  all  night  and  such  a  frolic 
we  would  have.  Mr.  Hard  joir.-. 
ing  us  in  ever/  game.  Such  tun 

we  had.  .      ' 

At  Graniteville  I  Bella 
Montgomery,  her  father  being 
superuitendent  for  the  factory. 
We  became  devoted  friends  but 
she  married  just  before  I  did 
and  had  a  most  unhappy  life, 
until  after  the  death  of  her 
drunken  husband. 

ONE  SAD  THING  in  my 
child  life  was  my  great  fear  of 
Father.  No  one  knew  it  except 
my  plaNTTiate  Jane.  To  me  he 
seemed  very  austere,  but  I 
doubt  ver>'  much  if  he  was,  for 
I  did  not  find  it  so  Ln  later 
years.  One  circumstance 
helped  on  this  great  fear.  An 
uncle  was  visiting  us  in 
Charleston.  I  was  suffering 
with  tooth-ache.  He  said  to  Fa- 
tlicr  if  you  will  hold  the  chj'ld,  I 
will  pull  Lhe  tooth  out,  which  to 
mv  terror  they  proceeded  to 
do.    ■  ,     '. 

(Scc'RECOLLECnONS,  ■'. 
Page  13)   •      ■  ■      ' 

F  rrd  0  s  i  v^-^-— -^'-^  ^ 

f.V^-^u  STC  I  V  I 

.^SX    .;■ 

•^v•f.N^.   ■..:..:■ 

^^i^y.',.  >-2: 




NOV  98 

B>.i.nd.To.|V....-    M   MANCHESTR 
INDIANA  46*;.' 

■^ I '